Originally built in 1928, this Grade 2 Listed building was designed by the world renowned architect, Sir Herbert Baker, and has a distinctive atmosphere, elegant marble foyer, high vaulted ceilings inscribed with bible inscriptions and huge columns.
Sir Herbert Baker
Born on the family farm Owletts near Cobham, Kent, in England, the fourth son of nine children of Thomas Henry Baker and Frances Georgina Davis, Herbert was from the outset exposed to a tradition of good craftsmanship, preserved through isolation in the neighbourhood of his home. As a boy, walking and exploring the historical ruins found in the area were his favourite pastimes. Here he observed and learned to appreciate the time-honoured materials of brick and plaster, and the various aspects of timber use, especially in roof.